with Allen R. Kates, MFAW
As a writing coach and book editor, I work with you at any stage of your writing, from inception of the idea to a polished work you can sell.
Contact me and, as they say in Hollywood, Let's take a meeting. They also say Let's do lunch, but if you are in Wichita, Kansas, or Paris, France, that may not be practical. A phone call or an email will get us started.
Kinds of writing
- all genres, nonfiction or fiction
- books, screenplays, short stories, essays, journalism, memoirs, life stories, family histories, autobiographies, oral histories, novellas, plays, biographies, novels, storytelling, psychology, current affairs
What I do first
- read your manuscript and analyze its structure, qualities, techniques and your use of scenes, description, characterization, language, action, dialogue, location, mood, atmosphere, and so on
- write an analysis that describes the good parts of your story and what needs more work
- determine who your reader is and your manuscript's market potential
- if your manuscript is not ready for editing, we discuss what changes you may need to make and how to make them
- the analysis saves you a lot of time and money
What I do next
- when your manuscript is ready, I begin editing
- apply fiction techniques to nonfiction work to make it more exciting
- make notes directly on your manuscript, either on your hardcopy or into your electronic file
- revise, rewrite, smooth out transitions between sentences and paragraphs, improve word choice, fix punctuation and grammar problems, make suggestions
I help you
- rearrange the order of scenes so they build on each other with more intensity
- enrich the characters
- heighten conflict
- apply literary techniques such as humor, irony, foreshadowing, mystery and suspense
- design the narrative flow
- refine the dialogue
- create setting, imagery, and description
After your manuscript is finished, I help you
- search for a literary agent, publisher, film or television producer
- assess multiple ways of publishing such as Print on Demand, self-publishing, e-books
"Allen taught me pacing and timing. Most important,
he taught me to keep it simple and believable and not
overwrite; embrace the reader, make him a partner
in your endeavor.
"As an editor, Allen Kates is the real deal."
—David Platt, novelist, author of The Sculptress and The Girls' Club
Request a Sample of Work I've Edited
Please contact me if you would like to read a sample of work I've edited. Indicate if you would like to see nonfiction, fiction or academic work.
Allen R. Kates, MFAW
PO Box 399, Cortaro, AZ 85652 USA
To Top of Page